Orientation Week – Events and Schedule
Orientation at Massey is different every year. But no matter the schedule, it is sure to be an intimate experience. In fact, in the small community that is Massey, you might find you know almost everyone already, by the end of the first week!
The Orientation schedule runs during the last week before classes begin in most programs. Typically, this means the first week in September. Events are planned so that you can pick and choose those that work best for you. We understand that you may have orientation in your department as well, or may arrive late, or may have other commitments.
So feel free to come to as much as you are able, with no obligation for the rest.
Planned activities typically (almost certainly!) include:
– Dinner outings to local restaurants
– Sports activities to take advantage of the last days of summer
– Cultural excursions in the city, for both new arrivals and old Torontonians
– Parties in varying degrees of formality
– The highly competitive Massey Scavenger Hunt
– The Night of Pretentiousness (where you learn all about Massey history and custom)
– special innovations by the current year’s LMF (the student-led social committee)!
Many activities during Orientation are either free or funded by the College. You may be asked to cover the cost of your participation in individual activities, and the full cost of restaurant dinners. Details for each event will be available with the schedule, when circulated.
Orientation and other activities are planned throughout the year by the co-chairs of the Lionel Massey Fund (LMF). Discovering why it’s called the Lionel Massey Fund is just part of the fun of learning about Massey. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the LMF at email@example.com.
Please bear in mind that Massey is a tight-knit community and very many new and returning Junior Fellows do participate in Orientation. We want you to feel at home here, whether as a resident or as a non-resident Junior Fellow, and past experience has shown that getting involved early is very important for this. So please make the time.