Working under the leadership of Dr. Barbara Sherwood Lollar, Science at Massey aims to develop programs, round tables, seminars and linkages for the broad discussion of scientific issues, research, policies and challenges. Working closely and collaboratively with Junior Fellows in the interdisciplinary tradition of Massey College, Dr. Sherwood Lollar will help lead and encourage robust science-related events and discussions at Massey open to the entire Massey community.
To join an e-list to receive further updates please feel free to email email@example.com with the subject heading “Science at Massey 2018-2019”.
Ursula Franklin Forum
3rd Annual Ursula Franklin Forum
March 4, 2020
Climate Change – Taking Action
Recent reports by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the United States Global Research Program indicate that we are further from our climate goals than we thought and that mitigating the effects of climate change requires immediate action. What can we do to take action?
The 2018 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report has issued a desperate call for global cooperation to keep global warming below 2°C above preindustrial levels. The panel anticipates that even an increase beyond 1.50C will lead to destruction of ecosystems within the lifetime of the present generation! The United States National Climate Assessment states that the effects of climate change would have devastating impacts – both on the environment and the U.S. economy – and that working to mitigate these effects would benefit the economy as well as the environment.
In this forum we would be discussing this challenging problem through some key questions – what are some of the effects of climate change, and what are we doing to adapt to climate change, both to mitigate the effects and become more resilient to the impacts? Our panelists will speak from diverse perspectives on how we can take action against climate change.
Panel 1: “Taking Informed Action”
• John Smol, Professor and the Canada Research Chair in Environmental Change, Queen’s University
• Melissa Kennedy, Executive VP and Sponsor of Sustainability, Sun Life Financial
• Heather MacLean, Professor of Civil and Mineral Engineering, University of Toronto
Panel 2: “Scaling Up Climate Action”
• John Robinson, Professor at Munk School of Global Affairs and the School of the Environment, University of Toronto
• Barbara Zvan, Chief Risk and Strategy Officer and member of Canadian Expert Panel on Sustainable Finance, Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan
• Kate Mulligan, Professor at Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Other Science at Massey Events
- “Rocks, Rovers, Religion and the ROM: How in the world are these all related?” with Dr. Kim Tait, Curator Royal Ontario Museum and Professor Dept of Earth Sciences November 12, 2018
- Science at Massey with Visiting Scholar Dr. Jennifer Steele – March 26, 2019
- Science at Massey with Senior Fellow Dr. John Polanyi – POSTPONED